Wednesday, January 02, 2013

2013 - Preface

I'll be honest...I've been off the grid for a few weeks now. December saw several birthdays (including mine) and Christmas preparations just seemed to gather at a ridiculous pace from mid December onwards. The last couple of weeks has been a pleasant blur of visiting relatives, food, wine, pressies and telly (and this year a particularly excited Little Tornado; who also turns 4 on Friday! Where has THAT gone?!)

Anyhow, I was all set to launch straight back in to a few DIY and refashioning posts. But it didn't seem quite right to just launch back in without at least a nod to the fact that this is the start of a brand spanking, shiny New Year. One that potentially holds some interesting opportunities and milestones....

Telly...
Yes, the "telly stuff" is still on the bubble! The wheels of TV grind surprisingly slowly I'm finding. (Perhaps I'm a bit spoilt by the instantaneous nature of our online existence!) But finally I have a bit of news to share. Whilst pursuing what has become a bit of a mission to get some sewing on the telly, one of the production companies I've been working with approached me to screen test for a project that they already have in paid development (that is that a major UK channel is interested in principal in a particular idea; and has paid them to further develop it and film a pilot). Well I'd have been daft not to agree wouldn't I?! If only for the experience. So I duly screen tested, thinking that would be an end to it. Er, no. Turns out they liked me and and we begin filming (yes, you read that right!) the pilot, in the next week or so! If that's successful then it will be a 25 episode series for a major UK channel. Now before you get too excited, it's not sewing related. It's more closely allied to my other interests in thrifting and such. Although there IS the potential to showcase SOME sewing, in theory. I'm sorry to be so non specific! But I am allowed to tell you no more than that on pain of death! Suffice to say, that if this comes off, and I get my foot in the door, I shall harass them silly until they give in and put some flipping sewing on the darn telly!! Anyway, will keep you posted on that!

Elliott...
Our "little" boy starts proper school this year! A prospect that makes me feel happy and sad all at the same time. Happy because I know he's got so much ahead of him there and sad because, well, it will be another first gone in the blink of an eye. The years since he was born have gone by so quickly but by the same token they have been he most full and purposeful of my life. I feel like I've chenged so much and achieved more in the last few years than I ever did in all the years preceding. I can hardly remember the person I was before he came along. The effect that becoming a mother has had on me has been profound. To me everything is that much clearer and simpler now. Everything has a purpose and a meaning now. Something about being responsible for that little bundles needs and his future really focusses the heart and the mind.....

This Blog...
I started this blog towards the end of 2009 with no clear idea what I was going to write about. I was a new Mum, feeling somewhat isolated having just moved to a new town where I knew no-one; and I guess I saw blogging as a way of connecting. You know what I mean? At the time of writing I am just about to hit 500 google readers and have already exceeded that when you count in bloglovin readers. Now I know to some that's not a huge amount. But I am constantly gratified and excited, nay, chuffed to bits; that people would find my ramblings of interest. In 2013 this blog will continue to be an important aspect of my life. I love blogging and I love connecting with you guys (although I need to be better at replying to comments I do read and appreciate every one and am always excited when a blog comment pops into my inbox! So thankyou one and all for general loveliness and supportiveness!)

Textiles Degree...
You may remember my plan to finally apply for this long forgotten dream of a degree course? Well, I haven't anything resembling a portfolio and haven't even gotten round to downloading the application. (I did take a six week art class to improve my skills in that area, but alas have done no art at all since!) So this element of my plans has been an epic fail! I must confess it is purely down to the opportunities that have sprung from this blog, completely turning my head and distracting me from my goal. However, I have always been an opportunist; and when opportunity comes knocking, I tend to open the door. So I've given myself permission to put this particular goal on hold until I see how the whole TV (and a couple of other projects) pan out. I'm a great believer that sometimes we can be so focussed ahead on one specific goal, that we can miss out on opportunities waving at us from the peripheries...

Wedding Plans...
Those too are on hold. With Jason being made redundant we are struggling to make ends meet at the moment. Let alone plan a wedding! But I have a good feeling about this year my friends. Something tells me that we won't be in the situation for long...

Sewing Plans...
Loads.  I always have loads. It's just sticking to them that I have trouble with! That is what I really need to work on this year. Already in my queue (bearing in mind today is only the second day of the year) are 2 dressing gowns, a coat, a jersey tunic, 2 refashions, another bodice block, a skirt and a bag. Will this stop me from adding to my list further each time I find something I love online? Nope; probably not!

So that is where the start of 2013 finds me.  You'll find no list of resolutions from me. (I'd never stick to them anyway!) I've never been much of a planner. Preferring instead to remain open to things as and when they arise. I've got a real sense of anticipation about this year though. Something in my waters I guess you could say.  But for now, I can only guess at what I'll be writing this time next year, and look forward to enjoying the ride (bumps 'n all) along the way!

Happy New Year and bring it on 2013!


10 comments :

  1. He's going to be 4?! My monkey is 3 on Saturday... The fastest three years of my life!

    I hope the telly comes good and 2013 becomes an amazing year for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! That is SO exciting about the pilot tv show! I am eagerly awaiting more details! Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh - such a lovely recap of where you are! Glad to hear that things are going well with lots of opening doors in 2013 - and a list of projects? Mine's constantly evolving...the web can be a dangerous place sometimes!!!! Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Portia and I can't believe how fast your not-so-little tornado is growing up! It's also so exciting about the TV pilot - sewing or no sewing, I'll definitely be tuning in to watch you if it gets the green light...here's hoping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sounds like you have a really exciting year ahead! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you that the pilot is accepted. From your hints, it sounds like a really cool show. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Good luck with all these ventures, Miss P!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an exciting year you have ahead of you. Everything here is crossed that your pilot goes into production.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to you and yours, and happy 2013 as well! Sounds like some exciting plans on the horizon - can't wait to see where you take them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! Lovely post! Looking forward to seeing what you make this year. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely and totally realistic assessment Portia! I wish you so much luck and happiness for the year ahead. Big hugs, Zoe xxx

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line...