Tuesday, June 04, 2013

The Refashioners 2013 - Tasha of By Gum By Golly


Hello everyone, it’s Tasha from By gum, by golly! I was so excited when Portia asked me to be part of the Refashioners project. I am not a consummate refashioner like she is, so I knew this was going to be a good sewing challenge for me. And what did Portia send me? A men’s flannel shirt that dwarfed my dress form!
I really was stumped at first. But as it happened, when I got the shirt in the mail I was sewing up a gathered skirt from a 1940s pattern, and it hit me not longer after: turn the shirt into a skirt!

My plan was this: use the basic shape of the shirt as-is. The length of the shirt from the yoke to hem was a perfect skirt length for me if I used a narrow seam allowance and left the original hem intact. The front and back would be gathered into a waistband that buttoned at the center front with an overlap, above the original button placket. This all meant cutting off the back yoke, collar and sleeves, and carefully taking off the front pockets with a seam ripper.


I then cut down the side seams, and narrowed the back by cutting off the few inches on either side of the armhole so it was a rectangle. I left the front  with the armholes intact because in a flash of brilliance I realized I could make inseam pockets like in the Sewaholic Cambie pattern! You can see what the front and back looked like after cutting, but before I lopped off another little bit on the front to get them the same length:
I made a pocket pattern piece based on the Cambie pocket piece, (above right) making the scooped side the same shape as the former-armhole of the shirt. I used the sleeves as fabric to cut out the pockets. That’s when I realized the sleeves had the plaid pattern upside down! So I corrected that on my pockets.

Because believe it or not, I actually had enough fabric to match up the plaid!

However, no matching plaid on the back: it was upside down, too! But since I was preserving the original hem, the back stayed that way.

I used the back yoke to construct the waistband. I thought I was going to have to piece the waistband together with lots of seams originally, but as it turned out the yoke was a double-layer of fabric, so the waistband only has one seam. And with the busy plaid, you’d never know that I did all my math backwards, so the seam is off-center. (Excuse the messy work table!)


Last but not least, I swapped out the buttons for some matching vintage ones.
You can see what the finished inseam pockets looked like. Can you believe that they were once armholes?


In the end I had a wonderful and very cozy new skirt!

When I started the project I wasn’t even convinced there was enough fabric to pull it off, but I have to say I’m tickled pink with the final skirt! And now I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to pass up a nice, extra large men’s shirt at the thrift store again.
Oh Portia, look what you started…

Tasha of By Gum, By Golly

Firstly, I love that Tasha has a pair of shoes that perfectly matches the turquoise in the plaid! Secondly...erm...GENIUS!! Using the original armhole curve as shaping for the pockets! Isn't that just one of those things where you smack your forehead and wonder why that never occurred to you before? I know I did! I am soooo trying that....Thankyou so much Tasha :)
This shirt was actually quite poorly made and a boxy unflattering shape. What stood out for me when I found this in the charity shop was the lovely colour way, supersoft feel of the fabric and the fact that it was 100% cotton. Being a large men's shirt there was scope there. I love that Tasha has proved that you can refashion and STILL retain that authentic vintage look and feel to your makes. It's all in the details and the styling...





23 comments :

  1. Ooh I love this, such a good idea, and those pockets are brill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - great job and a lovely refashion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I've been stashing away my tall partner's very large shirts whenever he gets rid of them awaiting inspiration - I think I just found it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fantastic and very, very clever use of armholes and back yoke! Love the attention to detail in replacing those buttons. It looks so comfy. Job well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such inspiring work :) wonderful wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous! Using the armholes as the pockets was indeed a flash of brilliance, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using the arm holes as pockets was a BRILLIANT idea! I'm so glad this came together the way you envisioned... it's gorgeous, and your whole outfit is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The skirt is clever, especially using the button placket on the front. I love this detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my that's so cool! I'm looking at men's shirts in a totally different way now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really a gorgeous and clever refashion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! And I JUST got a men's large tall striped shirt for .99 at Goodwill, hoping to make a skirt. Now I have tutelage! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a super neat idea. Brilliant bit with the pockets. Looks like a cozy skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE it!!! What a gorgeous skirt, and OMG those shoes are incredible. Love the addition of the pockets, a really nice touch along with the shapes waistband flap that elevates it from a basic refashion into something extra special. Amazing work Tasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is incredible! And how clever to think of using the armholes like that...total light-bulb moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just lovely! Go Tasha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cool skirt! I would never think to make a shirt into a skirt. I'm going to be on the lookout for shirts at the op shops now. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh wow, that IS genius!!
    Looks great:) I love seeing refashions, but they rarely give much detai.. so am super excited about this:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. armholes as pockets? clever! this shirt looks so great as a skirt now and i love the new buttons. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to say it again, armholes as pockets!? Great idea. Love the way this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice, and very much more wearable!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute! What a fun refashion!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! If there's anything better than a cosy flannel shirt it has to be a cosy and feminine flannel skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very Mad Men!! Love it. I actually like the fact that the back plaid doesn't match up perfectly with the front plaid. It adds a touch of kooky. I would wear that skirt! What a great idea to make the armholes into pocket holes and use the sleeves for the actual pockets. I would wear this with a fitted top or bustier and a blazer for a sexy vibe. LOVE!!

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CurvyTiffy?ref=seller_info_count

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line...